Frequently Asked Questions

How can I file tax returns if I don’t have any records?

There are a number of ways acceptable to the IRS of compiling information if you don’t have any records. For example, reasonable methods such as estimates, ratios, statistical samples, industry standards, projections, and models can be employed to obtain the data necessary to complete tax returns.

What can I do if the deadline has already passed for responding to the IRS notice I received?

You should respond to IRS notices by the stated deadline whenever possible. However, if you don’t respond by the deadline given, the phrase “better late than never” generally applies. Depending on the notice, the IRS may still accept and process your response even if it submitted after the due date.

Every time I try to call the IRS, I get put on hold for 45 minutes, what’s the best way to contact them?

Unfortunately, the IRS doesn’t accept emails or have a priority line for taxpayers (only for tax professionals). The earlier that you call in the morning (8:00am), the less time you will generally have to spend on hold waiting to speak to an IRS agent. However, I recommend that when applicable, correspondence with the IRS be done in writing and submitted via certified mail.

How can I get help if I have no money to pay for representation because all my accounts have been levied?

If you qualify as low income, you may be able to obtain free representation at a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic or “LITC”. Information about finding an “LITC” in your area can be found on the IRS website. If you don’t qualify as low income, many firms (like TRS) will make special payment arrangements for clients who are under levy.